History of our school;
A Boys and Girls School was situated on the Village Green in Shinrone from 1883- 1975. The Boys and Girls schools had separate entrances and were not connected internally. After 1960, the children were taught in mixed classes but the two halves of the school remained separate and the school was then renamed Shinrone Mixed National School. The building was demolished in 1975 when the current school was built.
Our Current School Context;
Shinrone Mixed National School is a five teacher co-educational school situated in the village of Shinrone, Co. Offaly. Our school operates under the patronage of the Catholic Bishop of Killaloe. Our school's catchment area encompasses the greater part of Shinrone parish which straddles the two counties of Offaly and Tipperary. Our school receives additional resources under the Rural band of DEIS.
The school was built in 1975. A major extension comprising of two classrooms, a corridor and a disability toilet was officially opened in 2009. A further extension to our Universal Access Corridor and the addition of a disability washroom with ceiling hoist commenced in the summer of 2018 and was completed by Easter 2019. We have two rooms dedicated to SEN; a Reading Recovery room and a Nurture Room. The school has a large hard court/garden to the front and playing pitches to the rear. We have recently purchased an additional half acre of land in order to extend the playing facilities for children currently enrolled and for future generations of children.